Often bigger goals require a few people to contribute. A Parent Goal is an objective that is shared with others through the process of cascading.
This article covers:
- What is Cascading?
- How to Cascade a Goal to Other People
- To Add Your Goal to an Existing Parent Goal
What is Cascading?
Within the platform, cascading a Goal means sharing it with others, allowing them to contribute by creating their own goals. It does not refer to creating and assigning goals directly to employees, however you can also create goals for your direct employees.
Goals on the platform can be cascaded both up, down and across reporting lines; for example, a manager could set a goal such as a strategic objective for their department - employees could then create their own more specific goals which when completed would align with the overarching strategic objective. Similarly, an employee can cascade a goal up to their manager; for example, if their goal requires specific assistance from their manager. In this way their manager can create a goal for themselves based on the employees goal. For further information on the alignment of goals please see the Goal Alignment article here.
How to Cascade a Goal to Other People
1. When creating a new goal, scroll to the bottom of the page to the Cascade Goal to textbox.
2. Select the Person or People you wish to Cascade this Goal to.
- The Person or People that you Cascade the Goal to can subsequently cascade the goal to others.
- You can Cascade Goals both up and down within the organisational structure.
Tip: When creating a goal you intend to cascade, it is important to include sufficient information for the person who will be using it as their Parent Goal. They will need this information to effectively set their corresponding goal. The information you include in the ‘description’ text box of your goal is what the corresponding goal setter will have visible to them as well as the category and due date.
To Add Your Goal to an Existing Parent Goal
1. When creating a new Goal, select Parent Goal you wish to attach your goal to using the Parent Goal dropdown menu at the top of the Goal setting page.
- You can only do this if someone has cascaded a Goal to you.
2. You can also subsequently cascade a Goal that has been cascaded to you by following the steps above.
Employees can see the parent objective their Goal is contributing to (i.e., the Goal directly above them).
If they have cascaded their Goal to other people, this will also be visible. If a Goal is cascaded down multiple times, the Goal owner will be able to see each contributory Goal that feeds up into their own objective.