The Performance Improvement feature is used by the business to record and manage formal performance issues for an employee. Due to the sensitive nature of this type of process, businesses typically limit access to this section to HR only. The following article will explain how to create, view, edit and resolve Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs) using intelliHR.
This article covers:
- Creating Performance Improvement Plans
- Editing, Escalating and Resolving PIPs
- Adding Documents to PIPs
- Viewing and Reporting PIPs
Creating Performance Improvement Plans
1. Open the employee's Manager's Log and select Performance Improvement > New Plan.
2. Complete all required fields.
- Enter the subject's job, if the employee has multiple roles, select the job that applies.
- Enter the details of the person who has reported the need for a Performance Improvement Plan.
- Select the Performance Improvement Status and Category.
- Performance Improvement Status is used to show a history of the issue over time. The Performance Improvement issue can be initiated at any status level, depending on circumstances.
- The Categories for Performance Improvement are the same as for Diary Notes. This provides consistency in identifying and grouping similar occurrences or how an issue has escalated from a Diary Note to a Performance Improvement issue. It may also help to identify patterns across the organisation.
- Enter a Summary and Description of the issue (used to identify that process across the platform).
- Enter the Hours spent on the event.
- Enter any Direct Financial Costs incurred by the event.
- Detail the Remedial Action to be Taken by Staff Member.
- Detail Action to be Taken by Business.
- Schedule a Follow Up (if required).
- Select the Date and Person you wish to receive the follow up email notification.
- Enter any notes to detail Follow Up Required by the Business.
3. Select Create to save the Performance Improvement Plan.
4. This will trigger a Workflow to be created which includes an Improvement Action Plan to be sent to the Employee. To send to the employ select Apply or alternatively press Skip.
5. A letter template will be generated, using the information entered. On this page you will have the option to select any of the Performance Improvement letter templates to select the most relevant for the individual PIP.
- Make any necessary changes and click Save. A PDF of this letter will be saved on the record of Performance Improvement. Note: the system will NOT automatically send a copy to the employee. Return to the Performance Improvement Plan to access the PDF and follow your usual process to present it to the employee.
Editing, Escalating and Resolving PIPs
1. To edit a Performance Improvement Plan, click on the Actions button (visible on the top right-hand side of the page). A drop-down menu will appear with the option to edit. From this drop-down menu you will also be able to escalate it, add a note or delete the plan.
Any notes added or escalations made to the Performance Improvement Plan will be recorded in a timeline format and will appear under any relevant documents that have been uploaded.
2. Select the relevant action from the Actions dropdown menu
3. Complete the required fields
4. Save changes
5. This will trigger a Workflow and Letter Template to be created like when Creating a PIP. These can be applied or skipped.
Adding Documents to PIPs
To support your PIP you can add further documents. The platform supports any file type, including but not limited to: audio files, video files, images, PDFs and MS-Office files.
1. Navigate to Employee Profile >> Manager's Log.
2. Click 'Expand' to view all Performance Improvement Plans (this button will be visible on the right-hand side of the Performance Improvement subheading).
3. Click on the name of the relevant performance record to view it. Click or Drag and Drop the file(s) into the Documents box.
Viewing and Reporting PIPs
To view a summary of all active and resolved PIPs that have occurred within the business:
1. Navigate to Compliance >> Performance Improvements.
2. Click on the relevant status of the Performance Improvement Plan (Active, Resolved, All).
3. Search or Sort the list by any of the visible fields.
- The search bar at the top of the list supports any details visible in the list.
- Sort the list using the drop-down menu on the right-hand side and apply the relevant filters.
4. Click on the Summary of the Issue.
5. You will be taken to the Performance Improvement page for that issue.