One of the most common updates organisations use the bulk data tool for is to bulk update remuneration data following a remuneration review. The steps below outline the most efficient way to perform this bulk update on intelliHR, and include common questions the often crop up in the Notes and Considerations section at the bottom of the article.
This article covers:
- Beginning preparation for a bulk update to remuneration
- Preparing your data spreadsheet for upload
- Uploading/Updating the data
- Notes and Considerations
Part 1: Preparing to bulk update remuneration
Export your current remuneration data
1. Navigate to Settings >> Bulk Data Tool
2. Click "Export" at the top-right hand corner of the page.
3. You will then be prompted to select an "Export Type". For this update, we will need to select "Job Remuneration Data".
4. You will then have the option to add an additional column called "person lookup". This column allows us to easily identify which records belong to which employee. For this update, we will select "Lookup via display name" (display name refers to the name shown on an employee's profile). We advise leaving the "As at" date blank to ensure you are exporting the most recent and up-to-date data.
5. Click “Export” - an excel file will then download onto your computer.
STEP 2: Preparing your spreadsheet for upload
Now that you have exported your current remuneration data, you will need to begin preparing the spreadsheet with the updated remuneration data.
Updating the Remuneration Data
1. Amend the relevant column(s)
Column G will contain base_annual_salary and column I will contain base_hourly rate. You only need to amend one of these columns; for example, an employee employed with a base salary will only require column G updating, no changes need to be made to column I because when the update is completed the hourly rate will also be amended with the base annual salary. The reverse is true for employees receiving an hourly rate.
2. If all remuneration changes will apply from the same date e.g. 2022-07-01 for all employees remove the data from column C (update_start_date)
Column C (update_start_date) can be updated individually for each employee; however, if the rem updates will all apply from the same date it will be more efficient to remove this data and specify the start date of the update in step 6.
3. Save the spreadsheet as a CSV file. You do not need to amend any other columns.
STEP 3: Uploading your spreadsheet
1. Navigate to Settings >> Bulk Data Tool
2. Click "Start an Import" at the top-right hand corner of the page.
3. Enter in a name for the new import (i.e. Remuneration Review [Date of change]) and click "Create".
4. Click "Upload" in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
5. Select the Upload Type "Update Job Remuneration Data".
6. Enter the Update Start Date with the date you wish the remuneration update to apply (this can be a retrospective or future date).
7. Drag and drop or click to upload your CSV file.
8. Click Next. You will then be prompted to preview changes and click Save.
9. To begin the import click Start Processing at the top right-hand corner of the page.
10. A warning message will appear to make sure you wish to begin importing. Confirm the import by clicking Start Processing.
11. Once the import is successfully completed you will see the following screen.
Notes and Considerations
- Both base_annual_salary and base_hourly_rate columns can be edited in the same upload; however, you only need to update one of these.
- No other columns need to be updated if only the remuneration is changing.
- If all remuneration updates apply from the same date the most efficient way to manage this is to remove the date exported from column C and add the update start date when starting the import (step 6).
- If the date remuneration updates apply varies between employees you can use column C to provide these individual dates. Dates entered in column C will be used for the update in the event you provide a date in this column and at the point in Step 6.
- Remuneration updates will be applied from 00:00:00 on the date you specify (e.g. the start of the day); if this update is being completed by an administrator in a different location to the tenant timezone, and column C is being used to provide individual start dates for the salary updates, please contact the intelliHR support team who will be able to review your data prior to upload.